The boke of Exodus. The .xiij. Chapter.
- And the Lorde spake vnto Moses saynge:
- sanctifie vnto me all the firstborne that ope all maner matrices amoge the childern of Israel, as well of me as of beestes: for they are myne.
- And Moses sayde vnto the people: thike on thys daye i which ye came out of Egipte and out of the housse of bondage: for with a myghtie hade the Lorde broughte you out fro thece. Se therfore that ye eate no leuended bred.
- This daye come ye out of Egipte in the moneth of Abib.
- whe the Lorde hath broughte the i to the lode of the Canaanites, Hethites, Amorites, Heuites ad Jebusites, which he sware vnto thi fathers that he wolde geue the: a londe where in milke ad honye floweth, the se that thou kepe this servyce in this same moneth.
- Seue dayes thou shalt eate swete bred, ad the .vij. daye shalbe feastfull vnto the Lorde.
- Therfore thou shalt eate swete bred .vij. dayes, and se that there be no leuended bred sene nor yet leue amonge you in all youre quarters.
- And thou shalt shewe thy sonne at that tyme saynge: this is done, because of that which the Lorde dyd vnto me when I came out of Egipte.
- Therfore it shall be a signe vnto the vppon thine hande and a remembraunce betwene thine eyes, that the Lordes lawe maye be in thy mouth. For with a stronge hade the Lorde broughte the out of Egipte,
- se thou kepe therfore this ordinauce in his season from yere to yere.
- Moreouer when the Lorde hath broughte the in to the londe of the Canaanytes, as he hath sworne vnto the and to thi fathers, and hath geuen it the,
- the thou shalt appoynte vnto the Lorde all that openeth the matrice, and all the firstborne among the beestes which thou hast yf they be males.
- And all the firstborne of the asses, thou shalt redeme with a shepe: yf thou redeme him not, then breake hys necke. But all the firstborne amonge thi childern shalt thou bye out.
- And when thi sonne axeth the in tyme to come saynge: what is this? thou shalt saye vnto him: with a mightie hande the Lorde broughte us out of Egipte, out of the housse of bondage.
- And when Pharao was looth to lete us goo, the Lorde slewe all the firstborne in the lande of Egipte: as well the firstborne of men as of beastes. And therfore I sacrifice vnto the Lorde all the males that open the matrice, but all the firstborne of my childern I must redeme.
- And this shall be as a token in thine hande, and as a thinge hanged vpp betwene thine eyes: because the Lorde broughte us out of Egipte with a mightie hande.
- when Pharao had let the people goo, God caried them not thorow the londe of the Philistines, though it were a nye waye. For God sayde: the people myghte happly repent when they se warre, and so turne agayne to Egipte:
- therfore God led the aboute thorow the wyldernesse that bordreth on the redd see. The childern of Israel went harnessed out of the lade of Egipte.
- And Moses toke the bones of Joseph with him: for he made the childern of Israel swere saynge: God will surely vyset you, take my bones therfore away hence with you,
- And they toke their iorney from Suchoth: and pitched their tentes in Etham in the edge of the wyldernesse.
- And the Lorde went before them by daye in a piler of a cloude to lede them the waye: and by nyghte in a piler of fyre to geue the lighte: that they myghte goo both by day ad nyghte.
- And the piler of the cloude neuer departed by daye nor the piler of fyre by nyghte out of the peoples sighte.
The fathers now a days may not be suffered to know ought of God themselves, how can they then teach their children what the ceremony meaneth?
Teach your children.