The boke of Exodus. The .xvij. Chapter.
- And all the companye of the childern of Israel went on their iourneys from the wildernesse of Sin at the commaundment of the Lorde, and pitched in Raphidim: where was no water for the people to drynke.
- And the people chode with Moses and sayde: geue us water to drynke. And Moses sayde vnto them: why chyde ye with me, and wherfore do ye tempte the Lorde?
- There the people thyrsted for water, and murmured agenst Moses ad sayde: wherfore hast thou broughte us out of Egipte, to kyll us and oure childern and oure catell with thyrste?
- And Moses cried vnto the Lorde saynge what shal I do vnto this people? they be al most redye to stone me.
- And the Lorde sayde vnto Moses: goo before the people, and take with the of the elders of Israel: ad thi rod wherwith thou smotest the riuer, take in thine hande and goo.
- Beholde, I will stonde there before the vppon a rocke in Horeb: and thou shalt smyte the rocke, ad there shall come water out there of, that the people maye drynke. And Moses dyd euen so before the elders of Israel
- And he called the name of the place: Massa and Meriba: because of the chidynge of the childern of Israel, and because they tempted the Lorde saynge: ys the Lorde amonge us or not?
- Then came Amalech ad foughte with Israel in Raphidim.
- And Moses sayde vnto Josua: chose out men and goo fighte with Amelech Tomorow I will stonde on the toppe of the hyll and the rodd of God in myne hande.
- And Josua dyd as Moses bade him, and foughte with the Amalechites. And Moses, Aaron and Hur went vp to the toppe of the hyll.
- And when Moses helde vp his hande, Israel had the better. And when he late his hande doune, Amelech had the better.
- when Moses handes were weery, they toke a stone and put it vnder him, and he satt doune there on. And Aaron and Hur stayed vpp his handes the one on the one syde and the other on the other syde. And his handes were stedie vntill the sonne was doune.
- And Josua discomfeted Amalech ad his people with the edge of his swerde.
- And the Lorde sayde vnto Moses: write this for a remembraunce in a boke and tell it vnto Josua, for I will put out the remembraunce of Amalech from vnder heauen.
- And Moses made an alter ad called the name of it Jehouah Nissi,
- for he sayde: the hande is on the seate of the Lorde, that the Lorde will haue warre with Amalech thorow out all generations.
Jehovah Nissi, the Lord is he that exalteth me.